Monday, July 20, 2009
Eye Doctor for a Week
A group of ophthalmologist students from the University of Hawaii have been traveling around Samoa in the last 3 weeks providing free eye exams. They were a little short handed last week and asked if I could help. So for the last several days I've been playing eye doctor. My job was to test people for glaucoma. Using a "tonopen" you touch the persons pupil until you get a reading. Even though we only found a couple cases of glaucoma I got up close and personal with Samoan eyes. I have never seen such damage as a result of the sun. But, every patient got a free pair of shades and glasses if their prescription was available. All in all it was a very successful project and I learned a lot about eyes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment